Supporting new filmsGet help to develop young audiences for independent releases
The Film Audience Network has relaunched its support for new independent film releases.
Our colleagues at Film Hub South West are managing this area of focus for the Network with the aim of better connecting the worlds of distribution and exhibition, ensuring that important independent releases find a place in cinemas and connect with audiences across the UK. In particular, the Network's renewed commitment to developing audiences for new independent releases will include a focus on engaging audiences aged between 16-30.
Key elements of the Network's previous strategy remain in place and will be available to all Members screening titles supported by the scheme. Members throughout the North will receive a marketing pack full of assets and audience development ideas, will be able to apply to a small campaign budget for grassroots marketing and events activity, and will benefit from a region-wide press and marketing campaign raising awareness of the film's release.
In addition to this existing support, the Network's renewed strategy for expanding new releases will now include a longer-term audience development opportunity for one venue in the North each year.
Selected venues will benefit from:
- Funded attendance at an audience development workshop held at Watershed, Bristol on 20 September. Led by industry experts and attended by other venues from across the Network, this will be a chance to pick up new skills and share best practice.
- A bespoke audience development plan that responds to your venue's needs and ambitions, and is focused on engaging young audiences for films supported by the scheme.
- Ongoing support and mentoring throughout the year from a marketing consultant based in the North.
- Up to £200 per film supported by the scheme for special event or marketing activity.
- Peer-to-peer learning with other venues across the UK involved in the scheme.
Who can apply
To be eligible for longer-term audience development support, Members will be theatrical, independent exhibitors who would describe themselves as small to medium in size. Your organisation will be passionate about independent cinema and engaging young audiences for these films - and will be keen to increase its skills in this respect. You should be able to commit to screening the range of titles supported by the Film Audience Network in 2018 (4-5 titles) and making a member of staff - ideally from your marketing team - available to attend the audience development workshop at Watershed, Bristol on 20 September.
Applications to receive longer-term support for new releases are open until Monday, 27 August.
Wondering what you'll be screening? The Film Audience Network are now accepting submissions for titles to receive support in 2018/2019. Submit your choice for consideration.